Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet, Sweet Boy

Bennett has had a little bump between his eyes since he was a few months old. Our family doctor has been watching it for some time & we kept thinking it would just go away. For a while we wondered if it was because of his clogged tear duct, but after two surgeries to unclog that, the bump is still there. Our doctor decided at Bennett's 18-month appointment that it was time to refer us to an ENT.

Long story short, the ENT thinks that the bump is probably just a cyst, but because of the placement, there is a small possibility that the cyst is connected to Bennett's brain. If it's just a cyst, they'll just remove it, no big deal (according to the ENT. Big deal still according to mama.). If it's connected to his brain it's (obviously) a whole new ball game. Soooo, today we went for Bennett to have a CT scan to determine just what this little bump is.

Matt had to work, so my  mom was kind enough to go with me. We didn't have to be at the hospital until 11, which was nice since we had to be there way too early for the surgeries. We actually had to leave the house at 9:45 since the hospital is about 45 min away & we didn't get home until after 3:30, so I felt like it took the whole day.

Thinking back over the day, the things that stick out the most aren't necessarily the medical details (although there was a messed up IV trial and quite a bit of blood & crying), but how stinking sweet this little boy is.

First, we brought an insane amount of toy cars to keep him occupied. He was playing with them when we were waiting to check in at out patient registration and a little girl who clearly had a severe &probably life-threatening illness came to check in & Bennett shared his cars with her.

Then, shortly after we checked in at radiology a nurse came to see if we wanted to go to they "Toy Room" since we had so long to wait. He looked at her, stuck his hand in the air &grabbed hers. When we got to the room, he was super excited- jumping up &down & yelling "yay!". As soon as she opened the door, he said "thanks!" and went in to play. The room was awesome, by the way.

When our nurse came to get us to prep Bennett for sedation, Bennett grabbed his hand and headed out the door. He held his hand during the whole walk (which was actually a fairly long walk). There was a hospital worker who took a picture with his phone of Bennett holding Nurse Jay's hand. Bennett also gave Nurse Jay a sticker from the stickers we brought to keep him occupied.

Even after the IV debacle (pain courtesy of Nurse Jay...well, it was really because Bennett moved, but as far as Bennett is's Jay's fault), Bennett told him "thanks". When he woke up from the sedation, he just said, "Hi!". Ugh. So stinking cute. Nurse Jay even said "You're so friggin' cute!".

Also, there was a team called "Child Life" that came in several times to help us with distracting Bennett as they put in his IV. They visited us in the toy room to find out what all Bennett likes and then came to the prep area with a "Cars" book that made noises, a drum &an iPad full of awesome apps. The bubble seemed to be most effective at calming him down after they inserted the IV.

He did just fine the rest of the day. We finally went to get lunch. He had only had water and jello to eat before the scan, but actually ate almost all of his Happy Meal at lunch &nearly all of his supper! No nap today, so early to bed tonight. I'm glad today is over, but I'm trying not to be anxious about the results. The ENT said that he hasn't seen a cyst in the placement of Bennett's attached to the brain in the 25 years that he's been practicing, so the odds are in our favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment